July 18th is National Call-in Day to say No to Cuts to Mandatory Spending and Federal Benefits
NFFE is urging all union members to participate in National Call-in Day, tomorrow July 18th, in order to fight President Trump’s proposed Fiscal Year 2018 budget. The budget is still being negotiated, so it is important now more than ever that you call your House Representative to voice your opposition to the proposed cuts to mandatory spending and federal benefits in the FY18 Budget. These cuts pose serious threats to federal retirement that will degrade your annuity, jeopardizing your ability to retire. Federal annuities are not given, but earned through hard work. Don’t let your hard work be compromised, call your House Representative now!
Here is an easy template that outlines how you can let your voice be heard by your congressional representative:
Step 1: Contact the office of your house representative by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121
Step 2: Greet the staff person, and state your name and address in order to let them know you are a constituent.
Step 3: Use some of the following suggested language that will be effective in communicating your opposition to President Trump’s budget proposal:
• I am calling to ask Representative [X] to oppose any cuts to the earned pay and benefits of active and retired federal employees.
• I am concerned that the fiscal year 2018 budget could unfairly single out the federal community, by targeting federal retirement and health benefits. I worked hard over [X] years to earn my annuity. My annuity is not a gift. Decreasing its value now, after I’ve earned it, fails to honor the commitment made to me.
• Proposals set forth in the president’s fiscal year 2018 budget would diminish my annuity and my quality of life, and threaten my financial security while living on a fixed income.
• Our country needs a quality and experienced civil service to ensure the faithful execution of our laws and the delivery of critical services to taxpayers. Disproportionately decreasing benefits for the federal community will lead not only to an exodus of experienced employees, but also will threaten the very safety of our nation.
• I ask the representative to oppose any attempts to cut pay or reduce or eliminate retirement benefits for federal workers and retirees in the 2018 budget process. Thank you.
It is vital that NFFE urges all members, as well as their family and friends, to participate in National Call-in Day to show the House of Representatives that we oppose cuts to federal retirement in the FY18 Budget.
Your voice matters.
For more information, read NFFE’s letter to the House Budget Committee, here.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT CONTACT MEMBERS OF CONGRESS ON OFFICIAL DUTY TIME, USING A GOVERNMENT PHONE, ON GOVERNMENT PROPERTY, OR USING GOVERNMENT EQUIPMENT INCLUDING GOVERNMENT EMAIL ADDRESSES.