Shutdown Begins at Midnight Friday – What Members Need to Know
Partial Shutdown Begins at Midnight Tonight
With the failure of the Congress and White House to agree on a funding measure today, the current Continuing Resolution expires at midnight, effectively closing several Cabinet agencies and independent agencies. Departments affected include USDA, Interior, HUD, State (although NPC may still remain open), GSA, EPA, Commerce, DHS, Justice, Transportation, Treasury, District of Columbia, FCC, FDA, NASA, SEC and others.
Agencies not affected by the partial shutdown include DoD, VA, Education, Energy, HHS, Bureau of Reclamation DOI, Labor, FERC, NRC and SSA.
NOTE: If you agency is affected, your next paycheck should arrive on time and in full (between Dec. 28 and Jan.3), but paychecks after this pay date may be delayed or diminished.
What you can do:
- REPORT TO WORK as usual unless your agency informed you in writing that you are officially furloughed. Otherwise, you risk an unexcused absence if you are not furloughed.
- Sign up for alerts using your personal email to email@example.com
- Follow NFFE on Facebook @NFFEunion, and Twitter @NFFE_Union
- Gather personal phone numbers and non-gov emails to communicate with members.
- Post this memo at your workplace and help spread the word.
- Go over your personal finances and prepare for the possibility of delayed paychecks.
- Help NFFE members with access to emergency loans through the Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund (FEEA), on which NFFE serves on the board of directors. For more information, visit the FEEA website at www.feea.org.
- Read the OPM information below regarding specific questions related to the shutdown.